In-Progress : Edmontosaurus
01-11-08 : First Resin build here we go!!!
I've never built a resin kit before so I thought I'd take the plunge and give it a go. I ordered an Edmontosaurus kit from Rader Studios a few months back and pinned it together straight away. Here's what I've got so far :
As you can see, Jon Rader has made a wonderful kit which is full of detail and accuracy. Once I began pinning, I noticed the pieces don't fit as flush together as I would've liked, so I removed some of the excess resin and got them to fit as close together as I could get without losing too much resin which would effect the kit. I still have gaps to fill (the joys of resin building hey!) with epoxy and then I have the fun job of adding back the detail into those gaps and making it look invisible to the naked eye.
Shouldn't be too hard, it just making it look invisible that takes up a lot of time. Stay tuned and in the meantime check out Jon Raders other kits at his site, Rader Studios!
It's been a few months since I did any meaningful work on this kit (due to working on the Shin Musha), but in the few weeks since finishing the Shin Musha, I've been filling gaps with epoxy putty and returning the detail back into the skin using a Dremel (for skin creases) and PVA Glue dabbed on to the skin with a skewer. Using a skewer allows for droplets of glue to be added to whatever size you wish depending on how much glue and pressure is applied to the skewer. Next time I do a Dino kit, I'll try and take the time to write up a tutorial explaining this method - it's one that every dino builder should learn.
Anyway, I'm at the point where painting the base colours has just been done. In order, the pictures are primer, layer of Tamiya Buff, layer of Tamiya Olive Drab only on the top half, Tamiya Brown around the face and line between the two previous colours, and finally some 'spiderweb' sort of patterns with Tamiya Nato Black.
Once the paint dries, I'll do a little dry brushing on the lower parts and do some handbrushing on the toe nails, inside the mouth and other facial features (eyes etc).
The base has been started with it being a river side scene where the Edmontosaurus will be drinking out of it and has been startled so it has lifted it's head up and to the left from the river.
Fingers crossed I can finish this one later in the week so I can begin my next project for an online group build over at the Fichtenfoo Forums.